Auto Insurance Claims - Stolen Car
My car was stolen. What now?
We understand that having your car stolen can be very stressful. Let us guide you through the claims process. Here are the steps to take:
Report the loss
- Contact the police to report the stolen car
- Get a copy of the police report
- Contact us at
1-866-454-8910.An insurance advisor will take your statement over the phone
Arrange for a car rental
- If your policy includes rental car coverage, our claims analyst will also arrange a car rental.
Complete and return a theft affidavit
- Please complete the Theft Affidavit from the claims forms page and return it to us.
- Once we receive it, we will start the settlement process.
Car found vs. car not found
Step 1 - The police will contact you if you car has been found.
Step 2 - Contact your claims analyst to give them this information. They will start the car repair process and send an appraiser to assess the damage.
Step 3 - Get the car repaired - you have 2 options:
We have a network of preferred collision repair shops, where you will receive quick, reliable repair service. You can depend on these shops to repair your vehicle right the first time, on time, and return it to you cleaned inside and out.Benefits of using one of our preferred shops:
- Repairs are guaranteed for as long as you own the car and remain insured with TD Insurance.
- All preferred shops are fully equipped with the necessary tools and equipment to repair today’s vehicles, and can repair most makes and models.
- Preferred shops are in multiple locations for your convenience.
- Quality control programs are in place.
- Shops are able to send estimates and photos electronically so the repairs can start quickly.
- The shop representative will explain the repairs and provide you with a copy of the appraisal.
- We can help you resolve any problem that may arise easily and quickly.
- In Quebec, courtesy cars are available at most repair shops.
Although the benefits of using our preferred partners are many, the decision regarding where your car will be repaired is entirely yours. Should you choose not to use a preferred TD Insurance collision repair shop, we will still work with you to ensure your claim is settled.
Our appraiser will go to your car’s location and provide you an estimate of the repairs. You can then work with the shop to schedule and oversee the repairs to ensure they are to your satisfaction.
Whichever option you choose, you can rely on us. The claims analyst will keep you well informed.
Once all the details of the incident have been evaluated, our claims analyst will let you know if a deductible will apply. If there is a deductible, you will pay it directly to the repair shop. We will advise them of this information.
If your car is not repairable and assessed a total loss, proceed to My Car is a Total Loss.
If your car has not been found, we will start the settlement process.
- We may ask you to provide us with all receipts of work done over the last few months. This will help us better determine the value of your car.
- Keep in mind that regular maintenance does not increase the car’s value.
- You will be asked to provide us with all of your records for the vehicle, including the bill of sale, as well as receipts for any major repairs you had done on the car.
Complete an Automobile Proof of Loss form
- Fill out the Proof of Loss from the claims forms page and send it by mail to your claims analyst.
You can also get a hard copy from your analyst.
Provide us with your keys and vehicle ownership
Since ownership is needed to validate insurable interest, the vehicle is transferred over to us as part of the settlement process.
We will determine the actual value of your vehicle based either on fair market value, also known as actual cash value, or replacement cost, depending on policy terms. Fair market value is defined as book value (includes depreciation). Replacement cost is subject to eligibility and is an additional type of coverage that you would have purchased as part of your auto policy.
Once the value has been determined, you will be contacted and provided with final settlement details.
Once all the details of the incident have been evaluated and fault has been determined, our claims analyst will let you know if a deductible will apply. If there is a deductible, we will deduct it directly from your settlement.
Note: If you have a car rental, we will extend it for 3 days after the final settlement has been made.
Please note that the scenarios above are for information purposes only and do not constitute a legal opinion on the various types of coverage discussed. Individual circumstances may affect your coverage. In case of discrepancy between the information contained herein and your policy, the policy prevails.