What to do after a Home Burglary
Here are the steps to take if your house has been burglarized.
- Safety is always the first priority. If you come home and find that it has been broken into, do not enter the house.
- Call the police first and wait for them in a safe place, like a car or neighbour’s house.
- When it is safe to enter your house, look around to see what has been stolen or damaged. Make a preliminary list and where possible, take pictures of the damages.
- Don’t throw out damaged property without notifying us first. Report the incident by calling us toll-free at 1-866-454-8910. If possible, have your policy number and police report handy.
- If emergency services or accommodations are needed, we’ve partnered with vendors/contractors across Canada to help you restore your home as quickly as possible. One of our vendors will be in touch with you within 2 hours of the claim being reported. If you can’t stay in your home, we will work with you to arrange alternate accommodations.
- Prepare a detailed list describing the stolen property and damages. Where possible, take pictures/video of the damages.
- A TD Insurance claims representative will work with you to confirm the details of your loss and guide you throughout the claims process.
- You may be asked to provide us with proof of ownership and/or original invoices to support your claim. You may also be asked to complete and return a Proof of Loss document, which we will provide.
Additional coverage options may be available. Please speak with an Advisor.
Please note that the scenarios above are for information purposes only and do not constitute a legal opinion on the various types of coverage discussed. Individual circumstances may affect your coverage. In case of discrepancy between the information contained herein and your policy, the policy prevails.