Auto Insurance Claims – Hit-And-Run
I was involved in a hit-and-run. What now?
Being the victim of a hit-and-run accident can be very stressful, but we are here for you. Let us guide you through the claims process. Here's a quick overview of what's involved:
Assess the damage
- Make sure to document everything at the scene: write it down and take some pictures.
- If there were witnesses, take their contact information.
Call the police
- Call the police to report the incident within 24 hours.
- Report the incident by calling us toll-free at
- Have the following information handy: your policy number, the police report and all the information you collected about the accident (photos, witnesses’ names, etc.)
Get the car repaired
We have a network of preferred collision repair shops, where you will receive quick, reliable repair service. You can depend on these shops to repair your vehicle right the first time, on time, and return it to you cleaned inside and out.Benefits of using one of our preferred shops:
- Repairs are guaranteed for as long as you own the car and remain insured with TD Insurance.
- All preferred shops are fully equipped with the necessary tools and equipment to repair today’s vehicles, and can repair most makes and models.
- Preferred shops are in multiple locations for your convenience.
- Quality control programs are in place.
- Shops are able to send estimates and photos electronically so the repairs can start quickly.
- The shop representative will explain the repairs and provide you with a copy of the appraisal.
- We can help you resolve any problem that may arise easily and quickly.
- In Quebec, courtesy cars are available at most repair shops.
Although the benefits of using our preferred partners are many, the decision regarding where your car will be repaired is entirely yours. Should you choose not to use a preferred TD Insurance collision repair shop, we will still work with you to ensure your claim is settled.
Our appraiser will go to your car’s location and provide you an estimate of the repairs. You can then work with the shop to schedule and oversee the repairs to ensure they are to your satisfaction.
Whichever option you choose, you can rely on us. The claims analyst will keep you well informed.
Once all the details of the incident have been evaluated, our claims analyst will let you know if a deductible will apply. If there is a deductible, you will pay it directly to the repair shop. We will advise them of this information.
If your car is not repairable and assessed a total loss, proceed to My Car is a Total Loss.
Please note that the scenarios above are for information purposes only and do not constitute a legal opinion on the various types of coverage discussed. Individual circumstances may affect your coverage. In case of discrepancy between the information contained herein and your policy, the policy prevails.