Why you need Oil Damage Insurance Coverage

A standard home insurance policy will not cover oil damage. That means if your oil tank leaks, your home and property could be seriously damaged, and you would be responsible for the cost of the entire cleanup. Oil leaks can also be the cause of a fire, or create environmental hazards such as groundwater contamination. That’s why it is a wise choice to get oil damage coverage to protect you and your home.

Here’s what’s included in oil damage coverage:

  • Coverage for loss or damage caused to your property by the sudden and accidental overflow or escape of fuel oil from a tank or apparatus or supply pipes connected to a heating system in use
  • Cost of cleaning and decontamination or remediation of your premises
  • Up to $25,000 for trees, shrubs, and plants, subject to each item’s maximum, including debris removal for any one tree, shrub, or plant which is part of the landscaping of your premises
  • You are not covered if you have loss or damage caused by repeated escape or overflow of fuel oil, or the damage occurs while the building is under construction or vacant

*Please note oil damage coverage may also be referred to as domestic fuel oil escape. In case of discrepancy between the information provided on this website and your insurance policy, the wording in your insurance policy will prevail. Your insurance policy contains limitations and restrictions which vary by province and may affect your coverage and/or determine whether or not benefits will be payable. The information and examples provided in this section are intended as general information only. This does not constitute legal or insurance advice. In all cases, you should speak to an insurance advisor before acting.