What You Need to Know About RV and Motorhome Insurance in Canada

Your bags are packed, check. You’ve mapped out the ultimate road trip, check. You’ve got a full tank of gas, check. What about the right type of insurance coverage on your RV? With different types of recreational vehicles and different coverage options available, we'll help answer some questions you may have about your type of RV and the coverage you can get.

What’s the difference between a motorhome, a camper van, an RV and a recreational trailer?

With these terms sometimes used interchangeably, it may be difficult to know the difference between them. Here's an overview:

RV – A recreational vehicle (RV) is used as an umbrella term to describe a motor vehicle or trailer with liveable space.

Motorhome – A motorized vehicle that has a liveable area (equipped with a sleeping area, kitchen and bathroom).

Camper Van – The smallest variation of a motorhome, otherwise known as a Class B motorhome.

Recreational Trailer – A non-motorized vehicle equipped with a living area that's hauled by a motorized vehicle, such as a slide-on camper unit, travel, camper or cabin trailer, fifthwheel or tent trailer.
Now that you have an idea of what each of these terms are, let's dive into some insurance questions you may have for your type of RV.

Is RV insurance the same as car insurance?

Yes — just like how car insurance works, motorhomes and camper vans require mandatory coverage, as required by law in your province. Depending on where you live, mandatory coverage will vary but will always include liability coverage. If you're looking to protect your vehicle against any physical damage, adding enhanced coverage to your policy is ideal. You can purchase:

  • Collision or Upset: Covers damage to your RV/motorhome caused by a traffic collision with another vehicle/object.
  • Specified Perils: Covers damage from only certain risks outlined in your policy (e.g., fire, hail, theft, etc.).
  • Comprehensive coverage: Covers damage from all potential risks outlined in your policy, excluding Collision or Upset.
  • All Perils coverage: Covers damage from a collision and all the potential risks outlined in your policy.

By opting into one or more of these coverage options, you'll help protect your investment from theft or other covered losses.

A recreational trailer, on the other hand, is a bit different than car insurance. Because these trailers are motorless and are typically attached and towed by your own vehicle, it isn't mandatory to insure it. However, consider your investment and the elevated risk of loss or damage to your recreational trailer. You'll probably agree that it's a good idea to add some form of coverage to provide financial protection should something happen. Like a motorhome, you'll have the option to add enhanced coverage options (mentioned above). Additionally, you can also add liability coverage. This will help cover situations where the trailer becomes detached from the vehicle towing it and causes property damage or injury to a third party.

If you already have an existing car insurance policy with TD Insurance, you can add your RV to your policy as an additional vehicle. If you're new to TD Insurance, you can either purchase RV insurance separately, or switch your car and/or home insurance to TD Insurance which can help you qualify for additional savings.

Is insurance treated the same for all motorhomes?

Motorhomes can be separated into three types: Class A, Class B and Class C. Although each class represents a slightly different variation of motorhome, they're all classified as motorized vehicles, so insurance will typically be treated the same for all. While insurance may be the same, licensing can be different. So, it's important that the driver of the motorhome has the required license to operate that vehicle.

If you need more clarification on the different classes of motorhomes, check out the Canadian Recreational Vehicle Association's explanation on the differences between Class A, Class B and Class C motorhomes. You'll find an in-depth look at each type and see which class best suits you.

What types of RV/motorhome insurance does TD Insurance offer?

Since you're legally required to have insurance on your motorhome to drive on public roads in Canada, TD Insurance offers the mandatory protection you'll need (varies by province). And, if you're looking for added protection, we also offer enhanced coverage options (listed above). By opting into any of these add-ons, you can increase your protection to cover losses caused by certain hazards and even protect your motorhome from damage caused by a traffic collision.

A unique offering we recommend is our Grand Touring Solution for Motorhomes and Recreational Trailers. This optional coverage, if added on, will complement your motorhome or recreational trailer insurance policy. It provides coverage, up to a specified limit and/or is subject to certain conditions, for the following items:

  • Loss of use (This coverage provides a replacement vehicle, and/or covers additional transportation costs incurred while your RV is being repaired or replaced following a covered loss.)
  • Loss of use extension (Covers additional travel expenses that you may incur while your RV is being repaired or replaced following a covered loss, such as meals and accommodations.)
  • Legal liability for non-owned motorhome and recreational trailer (This is useful if you rent an RV.)
  • Contents permanently kept in your RV
  • A clause that waives your coverage's deductible, if applicable, in the case of a total loss or hit-and-run (Certain conditions apply.)
  • Emergency Roadside Service (If your RV becomes disabled; you may be reimbursed for towing and other emergency road service expenses.)

Does my motorhome need to be insured all year round?

Although RVs and motorhomes are typically used during the warmer months, it's important that your RV is insured all year long. From theft to damage, lots of unpredictable things can happen to your motorhome at any time. That's why at TD Insurance, we offer 12-month policies so that you can ensure your RV is protected throughout the year, whether you're on the road or parked in a lot.

How does insurance work if I tow a car behind my motorhome?

If you’re towing a car behind your motorhome, it’s important to ensure that your car is completely insured before attempting to tow it. If anything were to happen while you were travelling from point A to point B, your insurer would treat your motorhome and car separately. For example, let’s say your car was to detach from your motorhome while driving and your car hit a tree. In this instance, your car’s insurance will kick in to cover any damages, not your motorhome insurance.

Before you get into gear, it's important to make sure your RV is covered in case anything happens on the road. From fender benders to theft or even damages from extreme weather, the right coverage will help make your trip a memorable one for all the right reasons. Connect with someone at TD Insurance so we can walk you through your options. Call 1-866-361-2311 for a quote.

Share this article

The content on this page is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Coverages described herein may be subject to additional eligibility criteria, limitations and exclusions. In the event you make a claim, potential indemnification is also subject to the receivability of the claim and the type of coverage you bought.

In the case of conflict between the content on this page and your policy wordings, your policy wordings shall take precedence. Please speak to an Advisor or consult your policy wordings for further details.