Car Insurance for G2 Drivers

If you have someone in your household who's on a mission to obtain their license, it's important to understand the licensing structure in Ontario and all the rules associated with each level.

Anyone looking to get their license needs to successfully pass three tests. The first is a written test where you'll obtain a G1. The second is an in-person road test where you'll obtain your G2. And the third is another in-person road test (including highway driving) where you'll obtain your G. Because a G1 is considered a learner's permit (not a license), insurance for G1 drivers is not a requirement at that stage. But what about when they graduate to their G2 license? Let's cover some common questions you may have about car insurance for G2 drivers.

Should I add a G2 driver to my insurance?

If you have someone in your household who has a G2 license and doesn't own their own vehicle, you should notify your insurer as you'll likely need to add them to your car insurance policy as a primary or secondary/ occasional driver. This will depend based on how many insured vehicles are under the one household and/or how often they'll use the vehicle(s). If you have an equal or fewer number of licensed drivers relative to insured vehicles, each driver (including your new G2 driver) will likely need to be assigned as a primary driver of at least one of the vehicles. If there are fewer cars than drivers in your household, they'll only need to be listed as the primary driver of a vehicle if they'll be the one using it most often. In most other cases, the G2 driver should be listed as a secondary or occasional driver. If, however, the G2 driver wants to purchase a car of their own, they'll need to have their own separate car insurance policy.

Is insurance for G2 drivers different than insurance for G drivers?

No, insurance coverage won't vary by license class but will vary based on your individual needs. The cost of insurance, however, may differ between a G2 driver and a G driver. If you have a G2 driver in your household who recently graduated to their full G-license, you should notify your insurer to understand any changes to your policy and your premium.

How else can I save on car insurance with my newly added G2-licensed driver?

There are many ways to save on your insurance. For example, your insurer may offer additional savings for new drivers who have completed a driver's training course. And if you're a TD Insurance customer, you can also benefit from TD MyAdvantage which is a voluntary usage-based savings program. Opting into this program can help you save up to 25% as a reward for safe driving.

Whether you have a G1 or G2 driver in your household, it's important to plan ahead and learn what's required during the license process. And we're here to help. If you're an existing TD Insurance customer, you can simply log into MyInsurance and add your G2 driver to your existing policy. Or, if you're new to TD Insurance, start with a quote to see what an insurance policy can look like for you and/or your G2 driver.

Share this article

The content on this page is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Coverages described herein may be subject to additional eligibility criteria, limitations and exclusions. In the event you make a claim, potential indemnification is also subject to the receivability of the claim and the type of coverage you bought.

In the case of conflict between the content on this page and your policy wordings, your policy wordings shall take precedence. Please speak to an Advisor or consult your policy wordings for further details.