Contents Insurance and Stolen Packages
Contents insurance is a smart way to ensure your belongings are covered in the event of damage or loss, even if those items are temporarily away from your home. Not only does contents insurance come in handy for items in your home, it can also be part of the solution if a package is stolen from your doorstep.
Wonder what you can do if your package gets swiped? We’ve created this guide to let you know.
Here’s what contents insurance provides.
Every home, condo and renter/tenant insurance policy with TD Insurance features coverage for loss or damage due to theft.
With TD Insurance you can create a claim for your stolen delivery, but keep in mind that your deductible will apply. (A deductible is the amount you have chosen to contribute towards making a claim.) Some items (like bicycles and collectables) have special limits when it comes to compensation due to theft, so consider this when making a claim.
It’s not unusual for a deductible to be higher than the value of a stolen package. If you find your deductible is higher than the value of your package, it might not be in your best interest financially to make a claim. It’s best to decide on a case-by-case basis if pursuing a claim is the optimal option for you.
When filing a claim with TD Insurance for a stolen package, you can speed up the process by having some important information available. One particularly helpful thing to have available is the details from your police report. Filing a report with the police isn’t mandatory for beginning your claim, but doing so can help start and resolve your insurance claim sooner. We will ask you to provide documents confirming that the item(s) was purchased and delivered, so it’s also useful to have those details nearby as well. The more information you have available, the swifter and simpler it is for TD Insurance to resolve your claim.
What should I do if a package is missing from my doorstep?
Before filing an insurance claim, here are some initial steps you can take:
- Investigate the status of your delivery using the retailer’s or delivery service’s tracking information.
- Contact the retailer or delivery company to confirm there hasn’t been any miscommunication on their end on the status of your package.
- Check with your neighbours or building superintendent to see if they may have accepted a delivery on your behalf.
- File a theft report with the police. Also, keep the related documentation handy in case you choose to file a claim.
- Some retailers will provide compensation and/or replacements in the event of theft. In a lot of cases, this solution can offer better value if you’re concerned about your deductible.
- Reach out to TD Insurance to file your claim. We’re available for claims support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please call 1-866-454-8910 to speak with a TD Insurance Advisor.
- Keep evidence of your purchase, such as a digital receipt.
Here are preventative measures you can take to stop package theft.
There’s no foolproof way to prevent package theft, but there are steps you can take to greatly reduce your risk. Here is just a sample:
- If available, request that your package be signed for with an in-person delivery.
- Some delivery companies let you choose the timeframe for the arrival of your package. This can be a major asset if there’s a time of day that better fits your schedule.
- Keep your doorstep and the surrounding area clear, so it’s visible to you and those around you in the event of suspicious activity.
- Set up a camera or security system that allows you to monitor what goes on outside your front door even if you’re not home.
- Consider using a lockbox as a safe location for incoming packages.
- Work with neighbours and the community to look out for suspicious activity in your neighbourhood.
- Use of a delivery service that allows you to track the exact updates of your purchase helping you know the time it will arrive
Looking to file your claim?
Call us today at 1-866-454-8910 to start your claim. We’re ready to help you whenever you need us. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.