Special Situations that Affect your Insurance

To make sure you’re not caught unaware, there are a few special circumstances that can affect your property insurance rates.

Child studying away from home

If your children normally reside with you, but are away from home attending school, your home insurance policy will protect their belongings, too. Your policy automatically extends its contents protection to your children’s belongings, up to a maximum dollar amount.

Planning to move

Big moving day coming up? Remember to let us know before you move within Canada. We will automatically insure your old home, your contents in transit, and your new residence for a period of time, for example, 30 days. We must also agree to insure your new property for this coverage to apply.

Taking a trip

Planning to travel? Not to worry. Your insurance policy will cover your personal property you bring with you while you are away. But there will be a limit based on a percentage of the value of your personal property.

TIP: Make sure someone checks on your home while you are away so they can report any suspicious activity.

Automobile coverage

Your automobile is not covered by your personal property policy. You will need to get a separate auto insurance policy.

However, coverage for in-car stolen or damaged property is covered through your home coverage. For example, if your car was broken into and your ski equipment was stolen — it would be covered under your property policy.

Additional coverage options may be available. Please speak with an Advisor.

Please note that the scenarios above are for information purposes only and do not constitute a legal opinion on the various types of coverage discussed. Individual circumstances may affect your coverage. In case of discrepancy between the information contained herein and your policy, the policy prevails.