How to deal with water damage
Even when you take all the right precautions to prevent water damage, events can occur that are beyond your control. The important thing to remember is to act fast once you discover water damage in order to prevent it from getting worse.
What to do before calling your insurance company:
- Shut off any interior water sources.
- Stay away from electrical switches until your electrical system has been checked or the home power supply turned off.
- Avoid water-soaked ceilings in case of collapse.
- Puncture holes in bubbled ceilings to release excess water. Be ready with a bucket.
- Move household items to dry areas.
- Don’t handle items damaged by a sewer back-up.
- Remove excess water from fragile surfaces, such as wood and upholstery.
- Remove wet carpets to dry outside.
- Avoid using electrical appliances, such as vacuum cleaners, to clean up water. Mop up as much as possible.
- Prepare a list describing what has been damaged, destroyed or lost.
How to make a claim
Follow these three steps to make a claim:
Report the incident by calling us, toll-free, at 1-866-454-8910. If possible, have your policy number and police report handy.
Provide detailed inventory
Provide a list describing what has been damaged, destroyed or lost. Take pictures/video of the damage and, where possible, estimate the value of each item.
You may be asked to provide us with proof of ownership and/or original invoices to support your claim. You may also be asked to complete and return a Proof of Loss document, which you can find on the claim forms page.