Water Damage Insurance
Water damage coverage is already part of your basic home insurance. Keep in mind that this covers the result of water damage and not the source of the problem. Learn more about what’s covered and not covered as part of your basic home insurance, and how you can customize your coverage.
Your basic home insurance plan includes the following coverage for water damage:
- Heating system rupture
- Plumbing system rupture
- Sprinkling system rupture
- Air conditioning system rupture
- Escape of water from a waterbed, aquarium or appliances
- Escape of water from a public watermain
- Fire, explosion and smoke damage caused by earthquake
You can better protect your home from water damage with optional coverage.
Above ground water damage coverage is designed specifically to insure you for roof water damage caused by:
- Ice damming that causes water to back up under roof shingles and roof valleys
- The weight of ice, snow or sleet on the roof, which creates an opening or causes the roof to collapse
- Sudden and accidental discharge, back-up or overflow of water from eaves, downspouts, rainwater gutters or roof drains
Sewer back-up coverage is designed to help protect you in the event of damage resulting from.
- Back-up or discharge from a sewer
- Overflow or discharge from a septic tank
- Back-up or discharge from a storm drain
- Overflow from a sumpc
Coverage may vary for Quebec residents. Please speak with an Advisor for more information.
Water damage will not be covered by either basic or additional coverage in the following cases:
- Rain penetrates roof and walls, with no visible damage
- Caused by improper grading
- Caused by clogged drains and weeping tile
- Deterioration or corrosion of your roof
- Seepage of rain or snow
- Caused by improperly installed downspouts, eaves troughs, roof vents or chimney flashings
- Caused by improperly sealed roof flashings or vent flashings
- Moisture problems
Disclaimer *Please note above groundwater damage coverage may also be referred to as Weight of ice, snow or sleet – ice damming – roof water damage. In case of discrepancy between the information provided on this website and your insurance policy, the wording in your insurance policy will prevail. Your insurance policy contains limitations and restrictions which vary by province and may affect your coverage and/or determine whether or not benefits will be payable. The information and examples provided in this section are intended as general information only. This does not constitute legal or insurance advice. In all cases, you should speak to an insurance advisor before acting.