Sump pumps and sewers
A sump pump device can help you prevent basement flooding. If working properly, it pumps out water from your basement to the yard.
What causes water damage?
- When the pump doesn’t collect water due to mechanical breakdown.
- When the pump doesn’t function because of electrical power outage.
- When there’s an overflow of water from public water mains or sewer back-up.
- Run and test your sump pump regularly. Pour water on the drain in the pump to activate it.
- Listen for strange noises coming from the motor.
- If you notice oil on the surface of the water in your sump pump, verify the oil seal. Leaking oil can cause the motor to burn out.
- Replace the battery on your sump pump regularly.
- Install a sewer backwater valve. Some municipalities may offer incentives to help offset your costs.