Motorcycle Insurance for M1 & M2 Riders in Ontario

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Or maybe you've been dreaming of riding a motorcycle for as long as you can remember. Either way, getting a motorcycle requires you to get special licensing and insurance that differs from car insurance. Let's go over some licensing and insurance requirements so you can get the full picture of what it takes to own and ride a bike in Ontario.

What are the different motorcycle license types?

In Ontario, there are three different motorcycle license types:

  1. M license – Includes your M1 and M2 and is meant for those riding full-speed motorcycles.1
  2. M with condition L – Meant for mopeds and motorized scooters.2
  3. M with condition M – Meant for three-wheeled motorcycles.3

In order to obtain your M license (final stage in the graduated licensing program), you'll first need to successfully pass your M1 (written test) and M2 (road test) before taking your final road test to get your complete motorcycle license.

When do I need to get insurance?

Riding a motorcycle in Ontario requires you to have mandatory motorcycle insurance. In fact, you'll likely need to show proof of insurance before you can register your motorcycle.4 Similarly to how car insurance works, the insurance you purchase is tacked onto the vehicle you're riding, not the rider. So that means when you purchase motorcycle insurance, you will be insuring the bike itself. However, the rider(s) of the bike will be one factor that affects the cost of the premium you pay. For example, an experienced M licensed rider with a clean record will pay less on their premium in comparison to a newly M2 licensed rider. It's also important to consider that not all riders are able to get coverage on their bikes. Many Canadian insurers, including TD Insurance, don't offer coverage to those who only carry an M1 license, as it's not considered as a valid license. So, make sure you do your research to learn what you need to do to ensure you're protected.

Can an M2 licensed rider use another person's motorcycle?

Yes, an M2 licensed rider is able to ride another person's motorcycle, but there are some things to be aware of. Let's consider an example with person A being the M2 rider and person B being an M rider who owns the motorcycle. If person B let person A borrow their bike, person A will be required to carry the pink slip insurance card that person B received from their insurer. Failure to do so can result in a fine of up to $400.5 Although person A does not own the bike, person B's insurance will carry over to cover person A while they're riding. However, since the risk of riding a motorcycle is relatively high, it's important to be mindful of who you are lending your bike to. If person A were to get into an accident, person B would have to file a claim and pay their agreed upon deductible, if necessary, to cover the damages to the bike.

Are there ways to save on insurance for M2 or M riders?

At TD Insurance, we offer multiple discounts to those with a valid license, such as a discount for insuring both your home and motorcycle with us, or a multi-line discount for insuring two or more motorcycles. Check out our full list of discounts available to you as a TD Insurance customer.

If you're new to TD Insurance or looking to make the switch, you can get started with a motorcycle insurance quote below. Or, if you're already a TD Insurance customer, you can review and manage your policy at any time via MyInsurance.

Share this article

The content on this page is for general information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Coverages described herein may be subject to additional eligibility criteria, limitations and exclusions. In the event you make a claim, potential indemnification is also subject to the receivability of the claim and the type of coverage you bought.

In the case of conflict between the content on this page and your policy wordings, your policy wordings shall take precedence. Please speak to an Advisor or consult your policy wordings for further details.