Insurance And What To Do After A House Fire
Fires can have a devastating effect not just on the things they touch, but on the lives they impact in the process. We understand that dealing with a fire’s aftermath can be an intense and confusing process. We’re with you every step of the way. Here are some simple tips we recommend if you find yourself in this situation.
Taking Care Of Yourself
- Contact 911 to report the fire at your home and request emergency medical assistance if required.
- If you’re a TD Insurance customer, contact us to inform us of the fire and for guidance on how to make a claim. Call 1-866-848-9744 for 24/7 access to report your claim.
- Get confirmation from a building inspector or the fire department that your home is safe to re-enter.
- Arrange for a place to stay if your home’s not safe to return to.
Taking Care Of Your Home
- A dedicated TD Insurance Claims Advisor will work with you to provide support throughout the claims process, They'll confirm the details of your loss and where necessary will arrange for temporary accommodations.
- A dedicated TD Insurance Claims Advisor will also work with you where necessary to arrange for emergency repairs.
- For those without insurance, we recommend that you replace the filters in your furnaces, water heaters, refrigerators and air conditioners if they’ve been damaged. If the damage is too large, replacing these items may be necessary.
- Keep an inventory of important documents and possessions you may need to replace.
- Did you know you can place smoke damaged documents in a bag and then put them in the freezer as a way to preserve them?
- Find out if your policy includes restoration services in your coverage.
Things To Be Wary Of
- Only use electrical outlets, fuse panels or appliances if a qualified electrician says it’s safe.
- Do not press stuck, jammed or irregularly functioning doors.
- Keep your distance from sagging floors or ceilings. They could collapse. Have a professional look at the damage immediately.
- After you’ve made an inventory of your home’s damaged items, throw out food and medicine that has been exposed to smoke or extreme heat.
- Don’t be afraid to reach out to counsellors and community resources for help. You’ve gone through an intense experience and deserve support.
Making A Claim
TD Insurance Advisors are always happy to support you in making your claim. Give us a call at 1-866-848-9744 to get in touch with our claims support team. We also have information on how to file a claim with TD Insurance on our website.
We’re Here For You
Still have questions? Not a problem. We’re here to help. For general questions, you can reach us at 1-877-777-7136, Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Prefer to get answers online? That’s okay, too. We offer live chat support on our website, with TD Insurance Advisors that are ready to provide solutions.