Auto Insurance Claims - Accident (Multi-Car or Single Car)
I've been in an accident and my car is damaged. What now?
It can be very stressful to have a car accident. Here are the steps you should take if you've been in an accident and your car has been damaged:
If you've been in an accident:
- Make sure you and all your passengers are okay
- Try to attend to anyone injured
Call the police
- In case of emergency, call 911 immediately
- Call the police to report the accident if you think the damage to your car may exceed $1000 or if you think a criminal act may have been committed
- In Ontario, contact a Collision Reporting Centre within 24 hours if damage is believed to be more than $1000
Exchange information with the other drivers involved in the accident
- Exchange insurance information with the other parties involved.
- Make sure to include names, addresses, contact information, and license number.
- Vehicle information should include: make, model, plate number, and vehicle serial number.
- You may need the names and contact information of any other passengers and any witnesses.
- Even if police are on the scene, you are encouraged to capture the above information so it can be forwarded directly to your claims analyst. This will help to avoid delays.
- Report the incident by calling us toll-free at
- If possible, have the following handy: your policy number, the police report and the information you collected about the accident (photos, witnesses’ names, etc.)
Arrange for a car rental
- If your policy includes rental car coverage, we will also arrange a car rental.
Remove all valuables and personal belongings from your car
Get the car repaired
We have a network of preferred collision repair shops, where you will receive quick, reliable repair service. You can depend on these shops to repair your vehicle right the first time, on time, and return it to you cleaned inside and out.Benefits of using one of our preferred shops:
- Repairs are guaranteed for as long as you own the car and remain insured with TD Insurance.
- All preferred shops are fully equipped with the necessary tools and equipment to repair today’s vehicles, and can repair most makes and models.
- Preferred shops are in multiple locations for your convenience.
- Quality control programs are in place.
- Shops are able to send estimates and photos electronically so the repairs can start quickly.
- The shop representative will explain the repairs and provide you with a copy of the appraisal.
- We can help you resolve any problem that may arise easily and quickly.
- In Quebec, courtesy cars are available at most repair shops.
Although the benefits of using our preferred partners are many, the decision regarding where your car will be repaired is entirely yours. Should you choose not to use a preferred TD Insurance collision repair shop, we will still work with you to ensure your claim is settled.
Our appraiser will go to your car’s location and provide you an estimate of the repairs. You can then work with the shop to schedule and oversee the repairs to ensure they are to your satisfaction.
Whichever option you choose, you can rely on us. The claims analyst will keep you well informed.
Once all the details of the incident have been evaluated and fault has been determined, our claims analyst will let you know if a deductible will apply. If there is a deductible, you will pay it directly to the repair shop. We will advise them of this information.
If your car is not repairable and assessed a total loss, proceed to My Car is a Total Loss.
Please note that the scenarios above are for information purposes only and do not constitute a legal opinion on the various types of coverage discussed. Individual circumstances may affect your coverage. In case of discrepancy between the information contained herein and your policy, the policy prevails.